Wednesday 1 June 2011

When do Smiley Faces really count?

Yesterday was a crappy day for us as a family. Crappy for Chase and just a day we don’t want to repeat.
The sun today rose and shone in through the condensation coated windows and made me realise there is a lot to smile about.
The roller coaster journey of CF that we found ourselves on back in 2001, has taken us to places we never dreamed of. Provided opportunities we’d never have imagined and created connections with people that are truly awe-inspiring.
Yesterday made me realise that although we often feel very alone in this journey with Chase, we aren’t.
There are people, many who were strangers that are now firm friends, friends who whether we have met or not, offer their support and inspiration just when its needed the most.
After being told many years ago that your children choose you for a reason, I was reminded yesterday, that Chase chose me as his mum for my pig headedness, my ability to create action and my focus on wanting to make it better – always.
Steve as Chase’s dad was chosen for his ability to see sense and to face certain realities and for his ability to make friendships with anyone anywhere – me, I struggle with that with a debilitating sense of shyness (I know who’d figure but it's true hence why i don't do networking so well!!)
So here we are in the position of taking care of a special young man. A young man who challenges the best in us and the worst in us.
But with the support of those around us in places we’ve never been, and to those around us who know us a bit more deeply, the journey continues with a new sense of wisdom and gratefulness.
Remember a purposefully placed smiley face on an email, a touch on the shoulder, or a comforting smile can change the way someone sees the world.

Thank you J  

1 comment:

  1. well said, awesome!! yes the sun is shining its a better day than yesterday for many!! xx

    ReplyDelete