Tuesday 7 June 2011

Is one Love Enough?

“We love our children the same”. “All our children are loved the same”… inane comments voiced to justify some worthless societal demand.
Is it possible to love our children the same? I have never believed, even growing up that it was possible to love two let aong more children the same.
And now I face my own family journey, I am loving my boys differently.
The word ‘differently’ is the crux of the sentence – is different good or bad?
For me loving my boys differently doesn’t have to be the negative experience of my own childhood.  
For me it is simply about reflecting the differences in my boys
Chase, my first born.
My eldest.
Chase, my almost ethereal being.
Chase who wanders the world in a constant state of delight and excitement.
Chase, my wisp of a child who at challenges those of us more rooted to the earth.
Chase who simply loves no questions asked. Who cares no demands made, and who gives of his heart willingly and in totality.
Then there is Joshua.
My beloved second born.
Solid, definite in who he is.
Loving but cautious. Withholding a little of himself just to be sure.
Joshua so vocal and warm, with a hint of his own terms shining through the glow
Joshua who decides when and where.
 Joshua who questions and focuses. Joshua who fixes.

And I love them so very differently.
  • Chase is and will always be my first Love.
  • Joshua is my future and my hope.
Each is as important in my life as the other, but each brings their own sense of worth and value.
My role is simply to provide the love that will enable each of them to take their potential and blow it to smithereens and grab life no matter what it throws at them with both hands regardless of whether their feet are on the ground of floating just above it.
I am honoured daily to see my love reflected in their eyes regardless of the difference

No comments:

Post a Comment